Thursday, February 26, 2009

Kluster or clusterf**k

For everyone who doesn't know that I love all things crowdsourced - here it is " I love all things crowdsourced". Lately I've been playing around with kluster and it's younger sister namethis. I'm not sure why I picked sister over brother. Anyway namethis is simple by nature naming process for new businesses, but it stays true to the whole wisdom of crowds thing. Plus guess what, it's plenty fun.

The way it works is that you sign up and you're ready to start giving baby names to baby businesses. You just read a short description of a start-up and try to give it a truly original and useful name. There's also a reward involved, but the amounts are usually marginal and I really don't think anybody would get into this for money. Then again times are hard.

My only problem with namethis is that I have not been able to come up with a good enough name for something. All of my suggestions keep getting un-original ratings, can't even crack the average rating. Then again I have a feeling that it's all on me.

Now kluster is much more complicated and sophisticated. I'm really rooting for them, since their platform is built for accomplishing serious things. Now they just need members and what I remember from James Surowiecki's book is that you need a lot of them. Variety is just as important.

Let's say you build a community of 100 000 members. Great. Unfortunately 95% of them are guys who think that if you haven't built a Twitter+Second Life+Virtual Earth mashup, you haven't lived. That's where the great idea of kluster can turn into a total clusterfuck. Still I'm rooting for you guys. I'm also starting a DIYcity Group for city of Tallinn.


Same time I'm taking it slow. Baby steps...baby steps. Well hey, I'm still trying to reach the un-reachable goal. An average rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment