Thursday, May 22, 2008

Kabanoss free - good for your heart

Yesterday I witnessed quite possibly the best advertising campaign in Estonia in years. Well at least in my opinion and it came from an unlikely source. Passing a Neste gas station I noticed a pretty big green banner with easily readable simple font on it.

The message stated "Futura 95 kabanoss free" and a smaller heart shaped banner next to it that said "Good for your heart". Everything of course in Estonian. I couldn't help myself and smirked.
Few seconds later I was laughing out loud.

It was just perfect - low tech, right on the spot, on message, simple and funny. For anybody not familiar with intricacies of Statoil gas stations food offering, kabanoss is something kinda like a hot dog, but not really. But what I loved about the ad was that it wasn't making fun of the quality of competitors gourmet selection, well maybe a little, it just stated the lack of it at Neste's gas stop.

Neste's clients and I'm one of them use them because the price and the speed of their self-serve stations. I know, the gas doesn't flow any quicker at their pumps, but it's just that every time when I do go to pay for gas at Statoil's little store thingy - there's a line. Guess what every other person in the line is purchasing? You got it. It's one of these hot dog type of things. All this while I'm ready to start pulling my hair out, because the whole process is taking forever. There's just too many decisions to make - ketchup or mustard or that white sauce, who knows what that is. We all know that too many options is not a good thing...

So here we go - hats off to whoever came up with this creative. It's directed at Neste's customers and it's making at least some of us laugh. There's value in that. I see too many people at gas stations who look borderline suicidal, so thank you whoever you are.

I saw another banner with "Futura 95 cholesterol free" on it and yes maybe not as funny, but still right on message. Come get your gas without clogging your arteries. Let's not forget - laughing is good for you, just like not eating your kabanoss today.

P.S. In case you miss the banners, here's the link http://www.neste.ee/etusivu.asp?path=1991;2050

No comments:

Post a Comment